Friday, April 2, 2010

The little boy

The other day I had something happen at work that was so touching, I just had to share.

I was super busy, with a line that I couldn't see the end of.
I had the phone ringing, my register beeping, and a not-so-nice customer glaring at me. Let's just say, I wasn't in the greatest mood.

All of a sudden I hear this quiet voice from behind me:

"Excuse me. Ma'am? Um, Ma'am? Can you help me?"
I turn around to see a little boy, probably 7 or 8 but small for his age, standing there.
Ok. Now, honestly: I was annoyed.
The first thing I thought was: Nice, another kid wandering around making a mess. WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS?

This was our conversation:

Me: "What do you need help finding?"
Him: "Can you help me find a card? I can't find one for a Mom."
Me: "Oh, you can't find a Easter card for your Mom?"
Him: "No, I don't need an Easter one, just a 'you're the best mom in the world' one."

(I couldn't help but think how cute he was all of a sudden.)

I told him that I'd send someone over to that section to help him.
He said: "THANKS!" and off he skipped with a smile on his face.

A few minutes later, after my line died down, he walked back up to my register with a card in one hand, and a bundle of artificial flowers in the other.
He then says: "Um, do you guys have boxed chocolates here?"
I told him no, but pointed him in the direction of the candy aisle.

He returned shortly after, and put all of his items on the belt.
The card, (with no envelope) the flowers, and a chocolate shaped cross.
He then digs his change out of his pockets and layed it on the belt beside it all, and continued our conversation.

Me: "Did you find everything you needed?"
Him: "Yep."
Me: "Is it your mom's birthday today?"
Him: "Nope, she's just having a bad day. She's been reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllyy stressed out lately, and I just want to make her happy." (He then giggles.)
I couldn't help it, I laughed too.

It stopped to make me think about my own kids. How they really do take everything in.It made me think of how they must feel when I'm super grumpy, and how they just want to make it better.

As I watched him walk out the front doors with his bag in hand, I couldn't help but think to myself:
I really hope that his Mom know's just how lucky she is to have a son like that, one that thinks the WORLD of her.

He doesn't know this of course, but that little boy BLESSED my stressful day.

Thanks, kid. :]

3 comments:

  1. Nice Story Heather, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, does that just melt your heart, this story shows, even though his mom was not feeling her best at the time, she is doing one great job of raising a great little man. Think of the husband some lucky girl will be blessed by having one day! You are raising such a man in the same way Heather and Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the sweetest thing i've heard all day - what an awesome little man.

    ReplyDelete