Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Back at it.

So, as most of you know it has almost been a year that I have been a stay-at-home mom.
While I have enjoyed being home with my kids more and taking on that domestic role, I have somewhat missed the extra income. My photography brings in some, but wow, have I have learned in the last 12 months that it is hard getting started and building a clientele, or what?

So, Lee and I started discussing me going back to work (part-time) a few months ago and brainstorming on something I could do that would bring in good pay but still allow me to be home with the kids most of the time. Especially with a baby on the way now, that was a must.

My friend Tirzah was kind of in the same boat with wanting to be home more. Her commute back and forth to Portland everyday for her job was really wearing her down. So, we got together, formulated a plan and... "GRIMY GIRLS CLEANING" was established.

We thought it would be nice to be able to do move-in/move-outs for appartment complexes, thinking it sounded simple enough, we could most likely set up our own schedule, and get pretty good pay in the process.

We decided on our prices, made up cute flyers, then spent a day dropping them off at realtor companies all over the Salem area. At first, we were pretty discouraged because nobody seemed interested. But about 2 weeks later we got a call from one and went in for an interview. They hired us on the spot.

We started last month and were lucky enough to even land a commercial job with them (which pays bank.) SCORE. It's looking like this is going to be a great thing for us. We pick our own days and hours which so far have been pretty minimal, and get to be home still when our kids get out of school. It's a win-win, and I am really excited about it.

It feels good to be able to do both, especially when I'm not overly stressed, and tired afterwards. Plus, having the extra money to help out with the household responsibilities and help prepare for this bun-in-oven (who will be here before we know it) feels pretty nice too.

[[And to those who are wondering (because I know some of you are.) YES, HMF Photography is still my #1 passion, and NO, I will not be taking a break from it. Are you kidding? No way. I will continue to "shoot people" any chance I can get.]]

1 comment: