Monday, April 18, 2011

Warning signs?















I have heard it a million times from friends and family since the girl was brand-new.
Those six haunting words: "Just wait til' she's a teenager.'
I've laughed it off, said: 'I'm not too worried about it' (meaning that, wholeheartedly) and honestly, hadn't stressed much about it.
But, after the last week or so?
I'M. TERRIFIED.

Now, let me start out by saying that Kaylee is a great kid.
She's smart, kind, polite, respectful, forgiving. She's outgoing, responsible, confident... just plain awesome, really.

She's always been a bit stubborn, and very oppinionated, but those two little things about her have suddenly taken on a whole new life of their own.

She constantly has something to say - especially if we aren't in agreeance about something.
She's right. Plain and simple.
She has to have the last word. ALWAYS.
She no longer thinks my oppinion counts when it comes to what she likes to wear.
I could go on but, it's kind of 'painful' and well, you get the idea.

Please believe that this behavior of hers doesn't get her anywhere.
She pushes, but I push back.
She may be growing up. But I'm still Mom, and she will respect that.

I'm not in total panic-mode just yet.
We still hang out, and laugh together.
We still watch movies and shop til' we drop.
She still comes to me daily for advice.
[Although, the other day? We chatted for over an hour about... boys.]
Yeah. I'm so not ready for that part of it all.

Of course She will always be my little Kay-Kay and as of right now, at least I'm still considered "cool" in her eyes.
I plan to just embrace that while it lasts, because I know someday, her friends will come first.
At least for now? She still needs her Mommy.

And although, I know that this behavior - of her testing me constantly is normal.
It doesn't change the fact that it is scary as hell for me.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds just like Sarah at that age. Our craziness stayed at bay till she hit 18 then all hell broke loose. It is also the summer she met Nate...

    ReplyDelete