Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When did I become this way?

Oh, that's right... As soon as I gave birth.

I  just can't seem to figure it out.
It seems like parents these days just let their kids do whatever.

I have been told [more than once] that I can be a bit overprotective.
I am very picky about where my kids can go and who they can be with.
If I don't know the parents and feel comfortable with the environment that they will be in - it just ain't happening.

Now that they are getting older I am being faced with this dilemma more and more.
Kaylee wants a little freedom [which I totally understand] but, she's going to have to be patient.
Baby steps - for me that is.

The other day we saw a friend of hers riding her bike on the other side of town!
ALL. BY. HERSELF.
I almost had a heart-attack when Kaylee told me that she was allowed to do that.

It's weird to me that the neighborhood girls that are over on a daily basis have parents that have never even met me.
That would never be the case if the roles were reversed.

Now, don't get me wrong.
I'm not trying to judge.

When I was growing up we rode our bikes all over the place from morning til night.
It's just a little different now that I am the mother.

I'm just the type of parent who worries too much.
I want to protect them for as long as I can.
I haven't figured out if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Probably a little bit of both.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Heather, you are doing a great job raising those grandkids of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are being a great mom. Hang in there you are setting a great example for your kids!

    ReplyDelete