Monday, May 7, 2012

Holy backache.

As most of you know, I have had major back issues in the past.
Last year I was diagnosed with scoliosis (which is a curve in the spine) and had to go through months of physical therapy to help strengthen my back.
My midwives were worried at the beginning of my pregnancy that I would have issues throughout and need to start my PT again until I delivered.
Luckily, I have been really fortunate and have had no real problems with it.
That was until last week.
I woke up on Thursday with horrible spasms and I was leaning sideways while trying to stand up straight.
I figured it was just the scoliosis flaring up because normally that's exactly how I feel when it does.
I was irritated, but thankful that if it was going to bother me - at least it was at the very END of my pregnancy. After complaining to my midwife (and her just apologizing for my discomfort) I decided to schedule an appointment with my awesome chiropractor for the following day for an adjustment. I called, but the couldn't fit me in until Monday. I wasn't pleased, but I took it.
That evening however, I started getting these jolt-shocking type pains in my right hip, and down my right leg.
[Um, probably some of the worst pain that I have ever felt in my life. EVER.]
I figured that it was my sciatic nerve, and figured that I'd just have to deal.
After a night of almost no sleep, constant pain, rocking back and forth on my medicine ball trying to find some relief, and then crying for over an hour feeling sorry for myself. I decided that I just couldn't deal.
I Called my midwife again. No help. (Although, I'm not sure that I even know what I expected her to say?)
My awesome mother-in-law was able to get me squeezed in with my chiropractor that day. (Geez, I just love that lady.)
After he examined me, he said that it was my iliac tendon - an area in my lower back that was totally inflamed due to the baby moving down. He said it almost mirrors the same symptoms of the sciatica. After massaging me and stretching me, he sent me on my way for a very uncomfortable weekend at home. (May I add? I was super bummed to have to cancel two photo shoots that I had scheduled. I am so thankful for my understanding clients.)
Man, I've never liked taking pain meds in the past but holy crap, I was wishing that I could have had them for this. Tylenol was a big fat joke.
Today is the first day that I feel a bit better, but sleeping? It's almost impossible.
And while dragging my leg behind me while I try to walk? It has me feeling like an 85 year old woman.
My only real cure is to have a baby.
So, she better be listening when I say this: Um, Ava? Get your little butt out of me young lady...NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment