Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Roughin' it.

The weather while camping in mid-July should be warm and beautiful.
That is unless you are camping somewhere in Oregon.
In that case - you should be sure and pack your parka.

We attempted to camp for 2 nights at Silver Creek Falls and it turned out to be about, um... 22 hours.
Now, don't think I have never camped in the rain because, well, I did grow up here afterall.
We just always had a camping trailer to sheild us from the wet.
Not this time.

The trip was actually an enjoyable one, until early morning.

I learned how to play Farkle. Fun game. Especially while drinking alcoholic beverages.

Kaylee's friend Maddy had a melt-down after being tucked in for the night. [The boys scared her earlier in the day by telling her that bears and bobcats lived there.] Um yeah, that was fun.

Benjamin and Layton decided to cover themselves in dirt from head-to-toe, litterally. Thank God they had clean showers across the way.

Taking walks with Tirzah and Becca is never boring. Whether it be looking over a bridge, talking to strangers, or telling a kid on the playground to 'knock it off'. It is always a good time (and laugh) with those two.

I shared my bed with Layton, which was fine until he decided to elbow me in the shoulder blades all night long. I must have moved him 5 times and everytime about 10 minutes later? There it was again. Digging back into my flesh.

I about froze my butt off througout the night and by morning, I had my hoodie on my head and tied so tightly around my face that just my nose could be seen.

Becca and I took a trip to the restroom at some point during the night and she had fun laughing at my cheetah print socks. [Okay, okay, so I was wearing them with flip-flops, but who really cares? We were CAMPING for crying out loud.] Oh, and I did return the lauging at her awhile later after we were both back in our tents. I guess I won't embarass her with sharing the details of why - but trust me, it was funny.

Woke up in the morning with a soaking wet pillow, and little puddles all over my tent. The biggest one just happened to have my backpack full of clothes sitting in it.

The girls left there shoes outside all night so you can guess what happened there.

We decided during breakfast while the rain fell (and after Rob checked the forecast on his iPhone) that we would pack up early. Because camping like that? SUCKS.

It felt so good to get home, un pack and shower - and let me add that it took me 10 minutes to scrub my feet clean. (I guess that's what I get for wearing my thong sandals in the mud while taking down tents.)

Obviously, I am NOT Survivor material.

1 comment:

  1. ha! me either.
    i'll be sure to refer to this when nate suggests going camping :]

    ps - LOVE the new header.

    ReplyDelete